Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Oh, look!

Tom Delay has been indicted...

Michael Brown melts down and blames the Katrina response on everyone from the president to local faith-based organizations...

The Rita response was sadly lacking, too...

The National Enquirer says W fell off the wagon...(who cares if it's true--it's gotta be embarrassing)

A google for "impeach Bush" brings up over 2 million hits...

Sane and normal people are unhappy about the push to put religious mythology into our science classrooms...(go ahead, ask me how I really feel about "Intelligent Design"...)

Just by glancing at the headlines for the last couple of days, I'd almost think the whole BushCo house of cards is teetering.

But I've always been an optimist.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's about time.

Jill said...

Almost too much to hope for, eh?

Ms M said...

What do you think of "Intelligent Design"?

Only cause you asked to ask. I think I can probably guess...:-)

Mac said...

I think ID would be fine in a religions or mythology class. I don't think it's science by any stretch of the imagination.

But the real question is, what do YOU all think of Intelligent Design?

ohdawno said...

I agree that ID has no place in public school classrooms. Doesn't mean I don't believe in a Creator, but I don't have the arrogance to demand that my feeble and finite understanding of an omnipotent, omniscient Creator is the correct understanding, nor that if others won't believe the same way I have some kind of entitlement to make their lives miserable. I think these folks have forgotten 'turn the other cheek' and 'render unto Caesar' were words spoken by their Saviour.

Ms M said...

Intelligent Design is a belief. That's fine too for people who believe in it but despite the truth claims of Science, beliefs do not play a role in that discipline. ID is not science but sits alongside a host of other religious beliefs dealing with stories of creation.

Jill said...

I've been blogging daily about the Dover, PA case and reading the articles in the two local papers, York Daily Record and York Dispatch.

ID belongs anywhere but in science unless and until it's willing to formulate itself like a scientific theorem and be tested and let the results of that scientific testing stand. That's what's done with Darwin and evolution, that's what should be done to ID IF they want to say it belongs in a public HIGH SCHOOL science class. Why emphasize high school? Because they're still learning and not assumed to have acquired the critical thinking necessary to discern science from non-science. They're bright and capable, sure, but they're still looking to their teachers and their parents.

As I asked in my blog, I want to know what percentage of parochial elementary, secondary and post-secondary educational institutions teach ID or creationism in THEIR science classes?