Thursday, May 25, 2006

Oh dear...

Let us consider the saga of Barbara Bauer, literary agent from hell:

What's worse for a scammy agent than being prominently featured on Writer Beware's 20 Worst Agents list? Or attracting the aggravated attention of the redoubtable and delicious Miss Snark?

Why, having a series of very public temper tantrums about it, creating a ludicrous nuisance of yourself, and generally giving the whole thing oh-so-much-more Google juice than it ever would have had, otherwise. Better minds than mine have cooked up a smart and dirty Google Bomb. Do consider participating.

Heh. Also, don't miss Fireflies in the Cloud's hilarious follow-up post, complete with illustrations.

Then consider how wise it is to put yourself squarely in the sights of a bunch of writers--after depriving them of a time-consuming and much-beloved hobby by getting a favorite hang-out like AbsoluteWrite pulled down off the web, even temporarily.

Jenna Glatzer is one of ours. She consistently and tirelessly fights the good fight. If you really want to take her on, Barbara, you'll have to take on all of us.

ETA: Oh, look! Barbara Bauer has been Wiki'ed!

A whole host of others.

More blogging about Barbara Bauer.



14 comments:

Stacia said...

Oh yes indeedy! I've posted about Barbara Bauer in a couple of places this morning. I loved the AW forums (although I just lurked.)

Mad Scientist Matt said...

I'm contemplating writing a "Barbara The Catfish: The Musical!" in honor of this incedent. That might make a funny Google Bomb.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mac, for keeping us informed. I hope The Cooler will be back asap.

ohdawno said...

Woot!!

Ahm gunna rune ovr thet Barb's prolix gud...

;)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see what happens when the google bot gets done with us all :) I love the internet.

Anonymous said...

Incidentally, parts of AW are up, but now I don't know where the chatroom went to.

Oh, well, I'm sure we'll have the forums again, soon.

The best I can do is leave you a post here and hope it makes you smile.

I think we should update the 20 worst agents list and put BB at least at #2. She's earned a higher rank in the wall of evil to me.

Anonymous said...

Jim, I've talked to you, no New Yawk accent there!

Anyway, Mac, I don't blog, but I'm doing what I can to let my feelings be known :) Yes, of course I'm being diplomatic--why do you ask?

ohdawno said...

Whoo Hoo again! Wikipedia entry...so, so..EBIL!!!

Anonymous said...

Psst - Barbara Bauer has an alias.

Anonymous said...

So which one of you cracker-jack freelancers is going to write the first article about this whole dust-up?

Chris

T. M. Hunter said...

Matt's comic is something everyone should check out...really, they should.

I think this is the real reason PA never attempts to shut AW down... ;-P

Anonymous said...

I've always said it's not wise to pi$$ off people who buy ink by the 55 gallon drum... how right I was. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mac, I sent Barbara a copy of the Wiki page via email. Didn't want her to miss it. Being in an encyclopedia is such a great honor and all! Heh.

Thought maybe she could frame it and put it on her wall next to her phd thingie. You know, the piled higher and deeper, whatever. In her case, that's what it stands for.

I don't blog... :)gotta do something to help out.

*g*

Julia said...

I finally got a blog post up about this fiasco. Just wanted to let you know, Mac!